You do not need a license to act as an importer. However, some items require a license or permit from various government agencies in order to be imported. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is responsible for ensuring that all goods entering and exiting the United States do so in accordance with all applicable U.S. laws and regulations. Their publication, Importing into the United States, explains the process of importing goods into the U.S., including informed compliance, invoices, duty assessments, classification and value, marking requirements, etc.(21)

See: U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Basic Importing and Exporting

For assistance with specific U.S. customs clearance issues, contact a customs broker or U.S. Customs and Border Protection. A list of Customs Brokers can be found on the CBP web site under the Ports section by clicking on the port you intend to import through. (21)

U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Locate a Port Of Entry, Arizona, Phoenix 602.914.1400 or Tucson 520.407.2300

Additional Information:
See also: Consumer Products

U.S. Customs and Border Protection: Do I need a license to import something?Do I need a Customs Broker to clear my goods through Customs and Border Protection (CBP)? 

American Association of Exporters and Importers (AAEI) is a trade organization representing U.S. companies engaged in global trade and are recognized as technical experts regarding the day-to-day import and export of goods including the facilitation of global trade. (21)