Cats, Dogs, and other Animals

Cats, Dogs, and other Animals

There are a variety of businesses or professional endeavors that could require licenses beyond what is posted here. This is just an introduction to some resources to help you get started in navigating compliance requirements. You may also wish to consult with your professional partners. (21)


Pet dealers are regulated by the Arizona Revised Statutes. You may wish to consult your attorney for assistance. Check also with your local County office for any requirements or restrictions they may have. (21)


If you plan to import dogs, cats and other animals, there are certain importation requirements. (21)

Contact: Arizona Department of Agriculture, Animal Importation Requirements, 602.542.4293


The Animal Welfare Act establishes requirements concerning the transportation, sale, and handling of certain animals and includes restrictions on the importation of dogs for purposes of resale, prohibitions on animal fighting ventures, and provisions intended to prevent the theft of personal pets. (21)


A zoo license allows a person to exhibit, export, display for educational purposes, give away, import, offer for sale, possess, propagate, purchase, sell, or transport any lawfully possessed restricted and non-restricted live wildlife. Zoo licenses are issued to commercial facilities open to the public where the principal business is holding wildlife in captivity for exhibition purposes and for one or more of the following purposes: Advancement of science or wildlife, wildlife management, the promotion of public health and welfare, public education, or wildlife conservation. (21)

Contact: Arizona Game and Fish Department, Zoo License Application, 602.942.3000


A wildlife service license authorizes a person or company to provide, advertise, or offer assistance in removing live wildlife involved in human-wildlife conflicts. Authorized activities include capturing, removing, transporting and relocating wildlife that has caused property damage, poses a threat to public health or safety, or if the health or well-being of the wildlife is threatened by its immediate environment. (21)

Contact: Arizona Game and Fish Department, Wildlife Service License Application, 602.942.3000