The Arizona Office of Film & Digital Media is here to assist you with film permits for usage of city property, state-owned lands, tribal and federal lands in Arizona. Your project may require various permits, along with fees and proof of insurance, depending upon each specific location. We've provided some helpful links below to some primary permitting agencies to get you started. Not every permit requires a fee. 

Currently, there are no fees for permits issued on State park lands, highways or roads. Find your location then see what's required to film there. If you need further assistance, Register Your Project and tell us about the locations you'd like to use and we'll be glad to help direct you to the proper permitting authority.


Permit Time Frames: (Subject to change)
AZ Dept. of Transportation: 10 Business Days
AZ Federal Lands & National Forests/ Parks/ Monuments/ Recreation Areas: 15-60 Business Days
AZ State Parks & Trails: 10 Business Days for Small Scale; 30 Business Days for Large Scale  
AZ Tribal Lands: 30 Business Days
City of Phoenix: 24 Business Days
City of Tucson: 24 Hours 


Who is my permitting authority?
: depends on who owns the land, just search it.


For filming on or within City and County areas, contact the nearest local film office.

contact a regional film office or Film Resource Coordinator  



For more information on filming on state roads, parks and highways see the permit links below. Currently, there are no fees charged for the permits required to film in state parks and along state roads and highways. If you need further assistance, please contact us

Arizona Department of Transportation

Permit Application
Permit ResourcesFind a State Road, Interactive State map with milepostsFind Arizona Airports
Rest Areas, Traffic Advisories

Arizona Department of Public Safety

Hire Off-duty Highway Patrol Officers for security and traffic control:
Contact: Brandy Reissner 
Phone: (602) 223-2855  Mobile: (602) 769-4788 

Arizona Parks & Trails

Permit Application
Permit Resource: Find a State Park




Federal permits are required for filming on national park and forest lands in Arizona.  This includes on waterways within these areas. Permits are governed by the administrator of the land which could be either the National Park Service (NPS), the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) or the National Forest Service (NFS).

National Parks, Monuments, Recreational Areas 

There are 24 National Park Service (NPS) units in Arizona, including three national parks (Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Saguaro). Additionally, there are four national monuments administered by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) - (Agua Fria, Parashant-Grand Canyon, Ironwood Forest, Sonoran Desert, Vermillion Cliffs). 

Permits - National Park Service (No drones allowed)

Lake Mead Recreational Area - Permit information

Permits - Bureau of Land Management

Find information about - Arizona National Parks, National Monuments and National Recreation Areas

National Forests

There are six national forests located in Arizona, administered by the USDA's National Forest Service (NFS). Map 
Permits - National Forest Service  (Drone regulations

Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest

Coconino National Forest
Coronado National Forest
Kaibab National Forest
Prescott National Forest
Tonto National Forest



Filming and commercial photography on tribal lands require the approval of respective tribal governments.

For contact information with other tribal nations, please contact us.


Film & Commercial Photography Permits (All locations outside Tribal Park areas)

Issued by Navajo Nation TV & Film Office 

Film & Commercial Photography Permits (All locations within Tribal Park areas)

Issued by Navajo Nation Parks & Recreation grants film and commercial photography permits for Little Colorado River, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, Four Corners, Canyon de Chelly – Campground, Bowl Canyon, and the Navajo Veterans Memorial Park. *Please be aware of all Navajo Nation Laws while visiting our tribal parks.  NO CREMATION, NO LITTERING, NO CLIMBING and NO DRONES inside the Navajo Tribal Parks.

          MAP of locations within Monument Valley Tribal Park that require a permit

          Locations within Lake Powell Tribal Park that require a permit 


Native American Tribes in Arizona (Tribal information/Arizona Office of Tourism)

Additional Travel Tips & Guidelines (Arizona Office of Tourism)